Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Why

Over the year and a half that I've been blogging, I've talked about a lot of things. Most were senseless, like my explanation of God killing teenagers for making fun of bald men. Some were actually pretty interesting to write, like the guy who has seen over 300 state executions in his life. Others, like this one, mean a lot to me. And over the course of my writing and blogging experience, I've spread my wings over a multitude of topics and ideas and I gotta admit, it's been pretty fun. One thing that I have not talked about, though, has been why I write what I write. Or for that matter, why I write at all. In order to understand that, it must be answered with a question.

What does it take to write?

Answer: a finger. You don't even need them all! Just one will do. Any one of them, just pick one, and start typing away at your keyboard with it. Write whatever is on your heart with it. That's really all you need.

The reason I write is simply because I can. In starting this blog, I never thought it would gain very many readers. Today, there is a steady following; more than I could have ever imagined. And even still, I'm a blip in the radar of writers out there. According to one site, there are over 126 million blogs out there and still another site said that 18.6 new blog postings go up each second, equalling roughly 1.6 million per day. Consider today's little blog posting one in a million (pun intended)!

I love the readership, so thank you for killing time on my blog today! But what I think I love even more than that is writing itself. This is what I do. This is who I am. This is what I love. But I am not alone.

As I've said before, we each have a story within us itching at the bit to be told. And what I love more than readership, more than writing, and yes, even more than rootbeer, is hearing someone tell their story in their own way. It doesn't take much - really it doesn't! It just takes you, being you, telling the story about how you became you. For those redeemed by the blood of Christ, our story is all the more exciting, and redeeming! We have a message within each of us that far surpasses anything that we could conjure up with human minds or earthly creativity. We have a story that is bigger than us, and is orchastrated by the greatest story-teller of them all! That, my friends, is an epic story, far better than anything off broadway or television or (gasps) JERSEY SHORE!

So tell your story, in the way you write best - whether it be with words or actions, letters or numbers, smiles or grins - and listen to the stories being told every day by every person. By doing this, you get to leave the imprint of who you are and where you've come from on others and get to be molded by the life of those around you as well. It's what makes humans who we are, so go out there and experience story.

And that is why I write!

my small story

here is my small story,
smallest and meekest of all.
some of the details are gory,
and others will enthrall.
it is my small story which i will tell,
with a conclusion that i get to spell.
here is my small story,
smallest and meekest of all.
and if you look closely at my story,
you'll find it was HIS glory, strongest of all!

KB

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the LORD, not for men." - Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment