Thursday, November 5, 2009

Guide on How to Deal With Idiots

I think I have often badmouthed the idiots in this world. Recently, my Facebook updates have included quips about stupid people and sarcastic jokes about people acting like immature goofballs. While every single one of those posts have a legitimate reason to be on there and every single one of those quips are rightfully excused, tonight, I have learned something. I have learned that everybody in this world is an idiot, especially me. I realized this driving home tonight as I yelled at another driver who cut me off and did 10 miles under the speed limit. I got angry and shouted, "You wingnut! What are you thinking you idiot!?" Ironically, I was praying right before I shouted this obscenity. God pulled at my heart and asked me a question.
"Why did you just get angry at that guy?"
"Well, God, he cut me off!"
"Yes, but you just called him an idiot and this afternoon, you made quite certain that you were going to avoid all stupid people while you were on your vacation, which starts today I might add."
"Okay Lord, but this idiot ran into me, not the other way around," I shot back witfully.
"Alright kiddo, but I think you might enjoy the number of complaints I get about your driving on a daily basis... would you like to hear some? I think the word 'idiot' is used in reference to you at least half a dozen times this week."
Silence on my behalf.
You see, I forgot during my tirade of anger this afternoon that I am just as much of an idiot as the rest of this world. In and of itself, that shows that I have no reason to have my life get bent out of shape to where my light shines a little less brighter than it did before. I might have reason to complain, I might even have reason to get angry, and I might just have the right to blow up at somebody who really did me wrong. It gives me no reason to sin, no reason to hurt someone back. So if I have done this to you this week or seen me do this, I apologize.
Story goes like this: A fella sues a store for a personal injury they received while shopping there. The court finds no evidence that it was a personal injury at all and suspect the man of trying to take money wrongfully from the owners. The man gets angry and sues the court. The higher court find the suit to be of no merit and so the man sues them. He takes it later to the US Supreme Court and when they tell him to get lost, he sues the United Nations for not keeping watch over their members. The UN tells the guy to bite a wall and so the guy sues God for created these silly people in the first place. When he goes to heaven, he demands from St. Peter (because who else would be standing at the gates?) a lawyer to represent him on trial in the suit. Peter replies, "Well, seeing as there are no lawyers up here (tee-hee), you will have to represent yourself, but I warn you- the opinion is bias. You see God is the Judge up here too, so you might have a hard time convincing Him that He is wrong!"
Get what I am saying?
We are all like that guy in the story sometimes and we tend to go off the wagon sometimes, taking care of business, kicking down doors and taking names. But why are we doing that when God, in his infinite wisdom, said, "When you call, I will answer. I will be with you in trouble and deliver you and honor you. With long life I will satisfy you and show you my love." (Psalm 91:14-16).
So here is to understanding that we ourselves are just as stupid as the guy who cuts us off. Here is to remembering what I decided to have inscribed in my ring- life is too long not to laugh and life is too short not to laugh. So here is to cracking jokes, having fun, finding hope, and loving life like God was really in control. Happy driving!

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment