Thursday, September 24, 2009

Time For My Close-Up

I have this theory about America. I believe that in a day and age where there are media connections instantaneously taking place world-wide, every person has exactly one chance to be on national TV. Some people use their one opportunity to wave like a goofball on Good Morning America. Maybe this is you. Others, like myself, have been only a few footsteps away from being on America's Next Top Model in Atlanta. Maybe you've heard about this. Still, there are others who have no idea that national television awaits them just moments away until they find themselves candidly on it. Maybe this is someone you know, say a relative you snuck onto America's funniest videos... not that I've done that with any of my relatives... except Heather...

Let's say this fame does await us around the bend- I wonder what it will do to us. Imagine, at any moment throughout the course of your day, what happens when a person barges in your life and gives you the opportunity to change the course of everything you call normal? What do you do when opportunity knocks on your door suddenly and asks you to make a decision, change it all now or leave it to history? Just think, if you go for it, then you have the opportunity to possibly be something great, but at what costs? What are the costs others have to pay for your own glory? Is it worth it? Have you ever had so many questions barraged toward you at any one setting???

At any rate it is difficult to even comprehend that level of intensity, until this week that is. I started thinking about just how grand something like that would be as it presented itself in the weirdest, most unique of ways. It's all quite a long story but the long and the short of it is, I started asking these questions and here I am writing about it. Anyways, let us imagine for a moment that I got on Good Morning America tomorrow or even better, Larry King Live's 50th season debut. Seriously, is it me or does he look more and more like he is a robot and less and less like a human being? Anyways, imagine if you were on one of those shows talking about your life, the things you would change in this world, and bantering about the latest groundbreaking news. Say you had this level of fame, how would you be different? I had to ask myself this question and firmly decided that I would be the different celebrity! I would be concerned with real matters like giving to charitable causes, working to keep public health up, and write my own magazine that would describe how to fulfill your life to the best of your ability- and then I realized I was describing Oprah Winfrey.

Winfrey on the cover of O, The Oprah Magazine.Image via Wikipedia

It was also then I realized I just described every Miss America contestant, every Oscar winner, every Emmy nominee, every reality TV show, and everything that has to do with anything concerning the media.

I like to think that the media means well at times. I'm sure they do and this week I was even able to meet some of these people who truly do want to make a difference in the lives of others. However, I know myself better than anyone and I know that my motives can be purely selfish. So I did some thinking and decided the kind of celebrity I should be. I don't want to be the one that has to have a TV show, a spot on Larry King, or even Good Morning America, however if the opportunity presents itself, I'd love to do all of those things. I don't want to be the celebrity who is concerned with charity and gives donations on a daily basis, however if I could, I think I would do both of those things. I don't even want to be the kind of celebrity who has his own magazine or writes cover stories that reach the nation, however that would be one of my greatest dreams-come-true. I think first things first, I
need to be the kind of celebrity who gracefully talks to someone who needs encouragement and I don't need a camera there to watch me. I think I need to be the leader who gives not just charity, but part of my own well being to support and encouraged my loved ones and the people I respect as a token of gratitude, not an investment. I think I need to be the kind of celebrity who would act just as selfless on camera as he did off camera.

Moral of the story is, my dear reader, is that this world is full of our audience. May we realize that it shouldn't take a camera in front of our eyes to understand a whole world is watching and waiting to see what we do and who we are from day to day. So here's to living up that quota. Lord knows I fall short of it constantly but I pray I work towards achieving this selflessness more and more each day. Here's to learning how to be a giver when you're in front of a camera and when you are behind the scenes. Life is a stage show and we are running it 7 nights a weeks. And here's to those life changing phone calls you get and emails you might receive in your lifetime- may they be as unforgettable and memorable as can every be. For what is a memory but those moments in life that cannot be described by words...

KB

No comments:

Post a Comment