Monday, August 24, 2009

Watch What You Write

I need to shut my mouth. Seriously, I seem to have lost that section of my brain that deals with tact. I have said something stupid stuff in my lifetime, stuff that really had zero thought process involved with it. Lately, I have topped the charts in my stupidity. Of course, I have a story to go with my accusations against myself. So buckle up, here we go:

2nd period, Business Management class: I am furious. For the past week, I have been fanagaling and wrestling with the computers at the school to perform simple tasks like checking e-mails and applying for scholarships. The reason lies with the new web monitering program the school district has recently uploaded to the network. Guardian is its name and ruining fun is its game. Lately, it has had the audacity to mess with my blog, blocking it from general view! But I let it go, understanding that some people just don't have good taste in progressively meaningful and captivating blogging. However, it actually blocked me from my email account on this particular afternoon. To this, I said no more! Enraged with irritation, I was able to use a different account and email the school district with my utterly fiery complaint, saying things like, "Guardian web proxy is possibly the worst thing against censorship since, well, ever," and, "...this is no more than a disgusting atrocity against our first amendment rights. If anyone wishes to dispute me, I dare them to log onto any computer in the school district and check their e-mail." I clicked "send" and forgot about it.

3:57 pm, same day: I check my inbox nonchalantly thinking it was nothing more than a regular day of junk mail and advertisements; it wasn't. Looming in my inbox sat a well written, two page explanation of why Guardian is not the antichrist. I must say, it was a compelling arguement. They said things like, "When you searched Google for ‘unbeatable proxy’[to get around it later that day]...[it was] a direct violation of the Roswell ISD Acceptable Use Policy. School Board Policy 3112/5132," and, "we are monitoring and looking into any abnormal behavior in the system." OK, sounds like I lost this battle. However, my favorite part of his response to my e-mail was the part where my letter made it to the desk of the Superintendent of the school district, and it turned out that this man's response to my letter was a direct order from the chief! So, umm, yeah... I lose.

Moral of the story is, "Watch what they heck you say! It might actually come true." That is not a bad thing after all. Sometimes it works for the better. Check out Gideon found in the book of Judges chapters 6-7. This wimpy little warrior asked God twice to show him an absolutely outlandish, rediculous sign that proved he was going to save God's choson people. He got it, both times. Needless to say, it shut him up. But what about you? What have you asked, "What the heck?" about lately? What have you been slaving over, praying over, day after day? Just think, if it really came true, then what? Is it really the answer you were looking for, or just the answer you thought you were looking for?

So I wrote the guy back- flabergasted. A lot of "sorry's" and "you have a point" were written on my reply. I did have the gaul enough to ask that my email be opened up agian, a decision I may soon live to regret, but a decision I wanted approved nonetheless. And so, while I still have a big mouth, I have learned to shut it up every once and a while, a lesson we could all use. Whether it is healing or vengence, I have found it best to not get all worked up next time I see something I don't like; I let God deal with it from now on. So here's to sitting down and shutting up. Here's to standing up for what we believe in. And here's to all the goofy letters that end up where they shouldn't be. Oh and I might add what that fella finished his two page, pointient answer with: "On another subject, I found your email to be readable, articulate, full of proper grammar and punctuation, and concise." Well, at least I'm concise. So here's to that too.

KB

1 comment:

  1. I have written many letters that I ended up burning. Actually, I kind of knew that I was going to burn them after I wrote them but there seemed to be some therapy in writing them. Anway, I completely agree with the fact that you do write readable, articulate, full of proper grammar and punctuation, very compendious. BTW, just b/c you don't get comments from certain individuals, you should know that your blogs are always being read, so "Watch what you write" ;-) Pun intended. but continue to "write on" my friend.

    - Chris T.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete